Here are five books to read with your family to learn more about Ramadan.
1. Ramadan and Eid-al Fitr by Lisa Bullard: For Muslims, Ramadan is a time for fasting, prayer and thinking of others. Follow along in this four chapter book as Rashad tried to be good all month. Find out how people celebrate this special time of year.
2. Max Celebrates Ramadan by Adria F Worsham: Omar invites Max to his house for the end of Ramadan. Family, food, and fun are all part of the special day.
3. Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors by Hena Khan: A picture book about colors where a little girl describes Islamic religious and cultural symbols using color, poetry, and Arabic words.
4. Lailah's Lunchbox by Reem Faruqi: Now that she is ten, Lailah is delighted that she can fast during the month of Ramadan like her family and her friends in Abu Dhabi, but finding a way to explain to her teacher and classmates in Atlanta is a challenge until she gets some good advice from the librarian, Mrs. Carman.
5. R is for Ramadan by Greg Paprocki: A fun alphabet primer celebrating the month-long Muslim observance of fasting and spiritual awareness.