Dear Shepherd Glen Families,
I hope that this summer has given you much relaxation time and you have had a chance to decompress and rejuvenate after our challenging 20-21 School Year. Last year we worked as a team and met challenges head. Now on to a new exciting and refreshing new year! I look forward to continuing to collaborate with all families and work towards meeting our students academic, social, emotional, and cultural needs. I am pleased to announce many new members thus far that have joined our Shepherd Glen Staff. Please join me in welcoming the following new staff members: Katherine Kiely-Grade 2 Teacher, Taylor Long-Grade 2 Teacher, Syeda Naqui-ESOL Specialist, Mallory Donahue-SRBI Interventionist, Kristin Longo-SRBI Tutor, Tolu Olayethe-SRBI Tutor, Katelyn DeLay-QU intern. As the summer months come to an end and we look ahead, we will be getting our school ready for a year of success, learning and normalcy. As you know we are still continuing to live in an ever -changing world and flexibility will be key this year. We must keep in mind that we are changing as the country and world is changing but some things are certain. We will not have the remote option for students, Google classrooms are still expected to be up and running and we are still committed to the Equity and culturally responsive work that our children need and deserve.
Please keep in mind some important information:
· First day of school for students is Monday, August 30th 2021
· Our instructional day begins at 8:04 and ends at 3:04.
· Breakfast and lunch will be free for ALL SHG students for the 2021-22 School Year
· Please know parents will not be able to enter the building the first day of school.
· K-2 parents will be given cards to display on dashboard when dropping off and picking up students
· Grades 3-6 parents will drop off and pick up on Skiff Street in front of the school.
· Please make sure you check our website daily/weekly where you will find important updated information on the “Happenings” at Shepherd Glen School
· Dismissal begins at 2:50
· The cafeteria will be open for students with a recommendation of social distancing 3-6 feet apart
· Desks/students recommended distance in the classrooms is 3 feet apart from each other and 6 feet from teachers with masks on
· Guided reading tables are allowed and I encourage small group instruction for reading and math using the recommended CDC social distancing guidelines of 3 feet apart with masks.
· Teachers are still expected to give students two mask breaks per day in addition to recess
Our school’s vision states “That all students can achieve the highest level of success through high expectations within a culturally responsive educational setting, which welcomes, respects, and celebrates the diversity of perspectives and experiences among our families.”
We will continue to embrace and do the work that is aligned with our SHG Vison Statement together and I look forward to working with you in year two at Shep.:). I have purchased several SEL materials and resources for your child’s classroom in order to support daily morning meeting and the first week in order to help foster developing relationships and classroom culture. I cannot stress enough the importance of this after coming off the last two years of an impactful pandemic.
I thank you for your continued support as we look to a new and exciting school year for all. We look forward to a safe, fun and learning school year! Please do not hesitate to contact me or if you have any additional questions, needs or concerns.
Barb A. Perrotti