The Secretary will perform all duties of the Chairperson in the absence or disability of the Chairperson.
The Secretary will be responsible for the following duties, which may be delegated to the Superintendent and/or the Clerk of the Board:
- Execute the duties of the Secretary of the Board of Education as defined by statute, regulations of the Connecticut State Board of Education, and policies of the Hamden Board of Education.
- Prepare the agenda for all meetings of the Board after consultation with the Superintendent and the Chairman.
- Record the minutes of all Board meetings in permanent format by indexed paragraph and forward copies of these minutes to Board members and to the Superintendent before the next scheduled meeting of the Board.
- Record all votes of Board members in the manner prescribed by law and make this record available for public inspection at all reasonable times.
- Keep a record of the policies of the Board and provide copies of additions and amendments to these policies to all Board members.
- Provide for each Board member a copy of the latest summary of the educational laws of the State of Connecticut.
- Act as a resource within the responsibilities of the office, to the Superintendent on decisions which may require further input between Board meetings.
- Endorse/sign all legal documents requiring the signature of the secretary.
- Answer parliamentary questions.
- Assure that all correspondence to the Board is properly recorded and acknowledged.
In the event of the resignation or death of the Secretary, the Board will elect a new secretary at its earliest convenience.
Connecticut General Statutes
10-218 Officer. Meetings.
10-224 Duties of secretary.
10-221 Salaries of secretary and attendance officers.
Bylaw adopted by the Board: October 14, 1997
Hamden Public Schools Hamden, Connecticut