The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Hamden Board of Education acting as a committee of the whole and shall perform other duties as directed by law, State Department of Education regulations, and by this Board. In carrying out these responsibilities, the Chairperson shall:
- Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Board.
- Plan the Board’s agendas in consultation with the Superintendent.
- Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters which may occur between Board meetings and inform the Board in a timely manner.
- Appoint a chairperson and members to each standing committee of the Board.
- Call special meetings of the Board as necessary. Call a special meeting of the Board upon receiving a written petition signed by three (3) of the members of the Board. Conduct a public hearing on any issue specified in a written petition signed by three (3) members of the Board.
- Be public spokesperson for the Board except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others.
- Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Board meetings.
- Assign a temporary Secretary in the absence of the elected Secretary for a specific meeting.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Board, the Chairperson shall:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
- Announce the business to come before the Board in its proper order.
- Enforce the Board's policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of the meetings.
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
- Explain what the effect of a motion would be if it is not clear to every member.
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Board.
- Refer all questions of parliamentary procedures to the Secretary.
- Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
The Chairperson shall have the right, as other Board members have, to offer resolutions, discuss questions, and to vote.
In the absence of the Chairperson, the Secretary will preside. In the absence of both, the Board will elect a temporary chairperson to preside at the meeting.
In the event of the resignation or death of the Chairperson, the Secretary will assume the duties until a new Chairperson is elected; said election will occur within thirty days.
(cf. 9020 - Public Statements)
(cf. 9325 - Meeting Conduct)
Connecticut General Statutes
10-218 Officers. Meetings.
Bylaw adopted by the Board: October 14, 1997
Hamden Public Schools Hamden, Connecticut