The Board of Education is the governing body of the Hamden School District and derives its power and exists under the Constitution and General Statutes of the State of Connecticut and the procedures of the Connecticut State Board of Education.
The Board has the power and responsibility to discharge any duty imposed by law upon it or the Hamden school district.
In order to assure that its operations support the schools in providing all students with a high quality education, the Board of Education hereby establishes as its responsibilities:
- to work closely with the community to ensure that Board actions and performance reflect the concerns and aspirations of the community;
- to identify the educational needs and aspirations of the community, and to transform such needs and aspirations into policies aimed at stimulating the students and the learning process;
- to communicate the educational programs to the people of the community;
- to provide leadership in order that the goals and objectives of the school system, as set forth by the Board, can be effectively carried out;
- to employ a Superintendent capable of ensuring that the district maintains a position as an outstanding school system and that school personnel carry out the policies of the Board with energy and dedication;
- to formulate Board policies which best serve the educational interests of students and provide the Superintendent with sufficient and adequate guidelines for implementation;
- to procure data useful to the planning, evaluation, organization and execution of Board management functions;
- to perform all Board functions and operations in conformity with state, federal and local laws, rules, and regulations;
- to evaluate the Board's performance in relation to these goals, and to establish and clarify policies based upon the results of such evaluation; and
- to adopt an annual budget.
Connecticut General Statutes
10-186 Duties of local and regional boards of education
10-220 Duties of boards of education
10-221 Boards of education to prescribe rules
10-240 Control of schools
10-241 Powers of school districts
Bylaw adopted by the Board: October 14, 1997
Hamden Public Schools Hamden, Connecticut