The Board believes that social activities in school life assist students in learning how to enjoy worthwhile group events, how to conduct them, and how to contribute to the enjoyment of others. Therefore school groups and classes may hold social events for students enrolled in these programs, provided they have obtained authorization from the appropriate administrator.
In addition, these social events must have proper supervision whether using school facilities or outside places. Proper chaperoning shall be provided under the direction of the Principal.
School organizations holding dances and other social functions will provide for adequate police and fire protection to control traffic, to protect assigned areas during the function, and to be on call as necessary for guarding the welfare of the guests.
Policy adopted: April 11, 2000
Hamden Public Schools
All social activities pertaining to the schools may only take place after clearance from administration has been received. The following rules should serve as guidelines for the planners of such activities:
- School activities will end at a time which is appropriate for the age group involved.
- There must be at least three (3) chaperons in attendance at all school events. The names of said chaperons must be submitted to the office at least three (3) days prior to the event. If required chaperons (parents may be included) fail to arrive by the time that the event begins, the sponsor will be given a short period of time to obtain replacement chaperons. If chaperons cannot be secured, the custodian in charge will order the building closed.
- At least one (1) policeman will be hired for the evening from one half hour before a dance starts until one half hour after it ends or until the school is cleared and closed for the night. These policemen shall be secured from the Police Department.
- One (1) custodian must be in attendance at each and every social event.
- Outsiders may attend such social events as dances but only at the invitation of a Hamden student. No student or guest at a dance may leave the building until s/he is ready to depart for the evening. Those who leave the building will not be readmitted. Students will not be allowed to enter a dance for the first time after 10:00 p.m.
- Whenever possible, tables, and chairs should be set up at the conclusion of a dance or other event. If this is impossible, all clean up must be completed by the day after the activity.
- All students are expected to behave as mature and responsible young adults at all times. School rules are in effect during all school activities.
Regulation approved: November 3, 2005