The curricula of the schools shall be in harmony with the Board of Education's adopted goals and legal requirements.
Curriculum development by the certified staff shall be guided by such factors as the following:
- Actual studies, needs assessments, state and district student achievement results and information concerning the needs of students in the school district.
- The range of abilities, aptitudes and interests of the students.
- Aspirations of residents of the school district for the students.
- The mobility of the population, making it necessary to provide education for the students useful anywhere in the world.
- Avoidance of discrimination.
- Reduction of duplication of effort and repetitive curricula among various school levels and coordination of courses of study and syllabi.
- Provisions of negotiated agreements.
The Board of Education reserves the responsibility for establishing curricula for the school district.
Teachers shall teach within the approved curricula and programs.
(cf. 6121 - Non-discrimination: Instructional Program)
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes
10-15 Towns to maintain schools.
10-15c Discrimination in public schools prohibited.
10-16b Prescribed courses of study.
10-16c et. seq. Re family life education.
10-17 English language to be medium of instruction.
10-17 et. seq. Re Bilingual instruction
10-18 Courses in United States history, government and duties and responsibilities of citizenship.
10-18a Contents of textbooks and other general instructional materials.
10-18b et. seq. Re Firearms safety programs
10-19 Effect of alcohol, nicotine, or tobacco and drugs to be taught.
10-19a et. seq. Re Substance abuse prevention team.
10-21 et seq. Re Vocational education and cooperation with business.
10-24 Course in motor vehicle operation and highway safety.
10-221a High School graduation requirements.
Policy adopted: May 20, 2002
Hamden Public Schools Hamden, Connecticut