Nondiscrimination in the Instructional Program
This school system pledges to avoid discriminatory actions and seeks to foster good human and educational relations which will help to attain:
- equal right and opportunities for students and staff members in the school community.
- equal opportunity for all students to participate in the total school program of the schools.
- continual study and development of curricula toward improving human relations and understanding and appreciating cultural differences.
- training opportunities for improving staff ability and responsiveness to educational and social needs.
- opportunities in educational programs which are broadly available to all students.
- an appropriate learning environment for students which includes (1) adequate instructional books, supplies, materials, equipment, staffing, facilities and technology, (2) equitable allocation of resources among district schools and(3)a safe school setting.
Each student, at the times/he becomes eligible for participation, will be advised of his/her right to an equal opportunity to participate in school programs without discrimination of any kind.
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes
10-15 Towns to maintain schools.
10-15c Discrimination in public school prohibited.
10-18a Contents of textbooks and other general instructional materials.
10-226a Pupils of racial minorities.
10-145 a(b)Certificates of qualification for teachers; Intergroup relations programs.
10-220 Duties of boards of education, as amended by PA 97-290, An Act Enhancing Educational Choices and Opportunities.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, 20 V.S.C., 1681 et seq. Section 504, V.S. Rehabilitation Act, 1973,29 V.S.C. 791 .
Policy adopted: April 11, 2000
Hamden Public Schools Hamden, Connecticut