The Board strongly disapproves of any action by any person that seriously disrupts the educational process. Particularly reprehensible is making a threat that a bomb has been placed in a school. In the event of a bomb threat, the following guidelines will be followed:
- The person receiving the threat will immediately notify the Principal/designee.
- Students and staff will evacuate the building according to a plan designed by the Principal/designee.
- Fire and police officials will be notified of the threat.
- The building and/or premises will be searched under the direction of a previously designated fire or police official in conjunction with school personnel.
- If a thorough search has been conducted and nothing found, the feasibility of returning students and personnel to the building will be evaluated by a previously designated fire or police official, subject to final approval by the Superintendent/designee.
- Students who leave school without permission will be subject to discipline.
- Investigation of the bomb threat will be made by school officials and local police and fire departments in cooperation with other appropriate agencies.
Policy adopted: April 11, 2000
Hamden Public Schools Hamden, Connecticut