Advertising in Our Schools
It shall be the policy of the Hamden Board of Education that neither the facilities, the personnel, nor the children of the schools may be employed in any manner for advertising, distribution of advertising materials, or otherwise promoting the interests of any commercial or other non-school agency or organization of a political, partisan or controversial, or sectarian nature.
The schools may, however, upon the approval of the Superintendent, cooperate in furthering the work of any nonprofit community-wide social service agency, or in promoting specific projects of community associations and governmental agencies when these projects serve the welfare of the community, provided that such cooperation does not restrict the educational program of the schools. The Superintendent may approve announcements promoting activities and programs in the general public interest, and which promote the education and the best interests of students.
It is the responsibility of the Superintendent to evaluate and act on all requests for the acceptance and use of material contributions involving advertising and to refer to the Board all advertising issues he or she believes require Board decision. The Superintendent is also authorized to arrange for appropriate public acknowledgment and recognition of contributions to the improvement of school programs and facilities.
A Principal is authorized to approve paid advertising of an acceptable nature for school publications.
Policy adopted: November 12, 1997
February 9, 2016 HAMDEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
1325 Community Relations: Advertising and Promotion
1. All requests to post, announce, or distribute information must be submitted to the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee. No announcement will be made until permission has been granted by the Superintendent or his/her designee.
2. Copies of posters, texts of announcements, or copies of fliers must be submitted as well. All material must be received by the Superintendent or his/her designee at least five (5) days prior to the desired date of announcement.
3. Material for distribution should be limited to fliers or other printed matter. Buttons, pennants, and other promotional objects may not be distributed in the schools.
4. Direct distribution of materials for school sponsored activities is allowed.
5. Educational material from private profit organizations which contains integral advertising may be utilized at the discretion of the Superintendent provided there is no active promotion of the organization or product advertised on school property.
Regulation approved: November 12, 1997
HAMDEN PUBLIC SCHOOLS