Visits to the Schools
The Board of Education and school personnel welcome and strongly encourage adult members of the community and other interested persons to visit the schools. The Superintendent shall establish regulations which:
- Encourage visitors to observe our schools.
- Ensure that staff will greet and assist the visitors.
- Require schools to use the visitor Entry Procedures outlined in Emergency Operating Procedures.
- Require all visitors to register in the school's office upon arrival at school and state the purpose of the visit.
- Channel expressions of approval and constructive criticism to the Board as appropriate.
- Ensure that public visits will not hinder the educational program.
- Ensure student and staff safety.
Visitors to individual classrooms during instructional time shall be permitted only with the Principal's and teacher's approval. Such visits shall not be permitted if their duration or frequency interferes with the delivery of instruction or disrupts the normal school environment. When a visit involves a conference with a teacher or the Principal, an appointment should be scheduled during non-instructional time.
A Board of Education member who visits a school does so in the capacity of parent or visitor unless delegated specific tasks by specific Board of Education action.
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes 53a-185 Loitering in or about school grounds: Class C misdemeanor
Policy adopted: November 12, 1997
Policy Amended: April 18, 2017
Hamden Public Schools