Hamden Middle School Governance Council
Mission: School Governance Councils were created by the CT Public Act 10-111 to enable parents, school staff, students (where appropriate), and community leaders to work together to improve student achievement. School Governance Councils serve in an advisory capacity and are charged with assisting the school administration in making programmatic and operational changes to improve the school’s achievement.
Responsibilities: School Governance Councils serve in an advisory capacity and shall assist the school administration in the areas listed below:
- analyze school achievement data and school needs as they relate to the school's improvement plan;
- review the fiscal objectives of the school's draft budget and advise the principal before the budget is submitted to the superintendent;
- participate in the hiring process of the school principal or other administrators of the school by conducting interviews of candidates;
- assist the principal in making programmatic and operational changes to improve the school's achievement;
- develop and approve a written school parent involvement policy that outlines the role of parents and guardians;
- work with school administrators in developing and approving a school compact for parents, legal guardians, and students that outlines the school's goals and academic focus identifying ways that parents and school personnel can build a partnership to improve student learning.
In addition to its required responsibilities, a council may:
- assist in developing and reviewing the school improvement plan and advise the principal before the report is submitted to the superintendent of schools;
- work with the principal to develop, conduct, and report the results of an annual survey of parents, guardians, and teachers on issues related to the school climate and conditions;
- provide advice to the principal on any other major policy matters affecting the school, except on matters relating to collective bargaining agreements between the teachers and the board of education.
Meetings will be in HMS room 205 at 5:00 PM on the first Monday of every Month as follows:
- December 3, 2018
- January 7, 2019
- February 4, 2019
- March 4, 2019
- April 1, 2019
- May 6, 2019
1.) Megan Jermain (term expires June 2019)
2.) Christy Lennington-Asch (term expires June 2019)
3.) Lucia Puklin (term expires June 2019)
4.) Paul Fleck (term expires June 2020)
- Tamara DeCarter (Chair) (term expires June 2019)
- Peter Greco (term expires June 2019)
- Dave Hubbard (term expires June 2019)
- Janice Mira-Keena (term expires June 2020)
- Kate Sullivan (term expires June 2020)
Principal: Michelle G. Coogan
If you are a parent/guardian of an HMS student, and are interested in becoming a member of School Governance, please see the attached membership form.