Hamden Collaborative Learning Center (HCLC)
306 Circular Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514 (203) 407-2134
Jonathan Pearce, Director
Our curriculum is standards based, and aligned with district and state standards for student performance. Learning experiences are tailored to meet the unique needs of each learner. Student-teacher relationships, parent involvement, and community connections are essential, help foster improved academic success and better prepare students for success in post-high school learning or employment opportunities. The smaller learning environment is designed to ensure that each student has the opportunity to maximize his or her own potential for academic, social and emotional success. HCLC celebrates individual and school accomplishments and strives to ensure that all students contribute to a learning climate characterized by mutual respect and cooperation so that each student may attain his/her own goals for personal development and academic achievement.
HCLC is located on Circular Avenue near Church Street in Hamden, Students attending HCLC are assigned classes based upon their instructional level and needs. There are a variety of standard academic classes (English, Math, Social Studies and Science) as well as choices of electives that are designed to meet the educational needs of a well-rounded student (PE, Art and Computer Education). Students attending HCLC remain connected to their home school, with high school students working toward a
- A smaller, more structured and supportive learning environment;
- Classes with instructional support from a teacher and paraprofessional;
- Curricula that is aligned with district and state learning standards, modified to meet the individual learning needs of each student, as needed;
- Technology to support classroom instruction;
- Work study or work experience;
- School and community-based Internships;
- Individual and group counseling to promote the social, emotional and behavioral development of all students;
- Positive Behavioral Supports;
- Virtual learning/on-line courses;
- Credit recovery courses;
- Assistance with planning for post-secondary education, training or employment.