FAQs from HMS Parents
How can I get involved at HMS?
Parent involvement makes a positive impact on our community. Educational research has linked parent participation with academic success. While middle school students are developing their independence, it is still important for parents to be involved in the learning experience. There are many opportunities, including:
- Post the school calendar in a prominent location, such as the refrigerator!)
- Attend Open House Programs. (Dates: Gr. 7: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 and Gr. 8: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 Times: 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.)
- Regularly check your child's progress on the PS Parent Portal.
- Attend Conferences. (Dates: Wednesday, November 20, 2019, Wednesday, February 12, 2020, and Wednesday, April 22, 2020.)
- Join the HMS PTA.
- Serve as a parent representative on the HMS School Governance Council. (Contact Ms. Coogan.)
- Read school newsletters. (Information will be emailed home via eNotify. Be sure to register!)
- Follow Ms. Coogan on Twitter @HMSDragons.
- Email your child's teachers, especially with questions or concerns. All staff are listed on the "Contact Our Staff" page.
How do I report a concern or share an idea?
If there is a concern regarding your child's experience in a class, parents are encourage to directly contact the teacher. Information can be located in the "Contact Our Staff" page. In addition, there are two assistant principals; Ms. Perrotti is the seventh grade administrator, and Ms. Coffey is the eighth grade administrator. Parents can email or call them with bus or school ideas or concerns. Ms. Coogan is the school principal, and she is always happy to talk with parents. Parental feedback validates our work and helps us to improve.
Will my child have access to technology?
We are proud to support a 1:1 Chromebook program. Each student receives a Chromebook for their educational use at school. Technology is an important component of the educational program. Teachers embrace technology to enrich and enhance the curricula. Many teachers are currently using Google Classroom as a platform.
Why do teachers offer Office Hours?
All members of the HMS faculty are committed to helping students achieve academic success. Each teacher hosts office hours on either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. (Specific office hours are listed on the "Contact Our Staff" page.) Students can complete homework with support. Teachers are also prepared to reteach or explain a newly learned concept. Be sure to encourage your child to participate in Office Hours.
Can my child take home the "late bus?"
Yes! Transportation is provided to all students who stay after school. Office Hours and clubs conclude at approximately 3:20 p.m. Students who choose to ride the "late bus" report to the cafeteria. Buses arrive at HMS between 4:15 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. As a result, students have additional time to complete assignments or socialize with friends. Bus stops are located in all Hamden neighborhoods. Members of the faculty assist students with locating the correct bus to ride home.