Hamden High School

2040 Dixwell Avenue
(203) 407-2040
(203) 407-2041 fax  

Nadine GannonPrincipal

HHS House Information

Sleeping Giant House
Assistant Principal
All Freshman

Whitney House
Assistant Principal
Last Names A - K (10-12)

Washburn House
Assistant Principal
Last Names L - Z (10 -12)
Assistant Principal


Transition Services

What are Transition Services?

Transition services are a coordinated, sequential set of activities that will help prepare special education students for post-secondary education and/or training that will lead to employment.  Students who receive special education services should have transition services included as part of their IEP when they turn 16.

Transition Services should reflect the individual student’s:

  • Strengths
  • Preferences
  • Interests
  • Needs

A career path should be developed that will prepare the student for post-secondary education and/or training that will lead the student to employment in which s/he can be successful, given her/his strengths and the employment opportunities available.

Who provides services?

Transition services are a collaborative process between school, family, student and, if appropriate, state agencies. The student is the focal point and the services are individual in nature.  Within the school setting many professionals are involved. The guidance counselor, academic teachers, special education teachers, speech pathologist, social worker, school psychologist and the transition coordinator all play integral parts of providing school transition services.

The following state and federal agencies may be of assistance.

Board of Education and Services for the Blind (BESB)

Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS)

Department of Developmental Services (DDS)

Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS)

Department of Social Services (DSS)

Social Security Administration (SSA)

Workforce Alliance

Transition Services Provided at HHS

Senior Meeting
Seniors meet individually with the Transition Coordinator to outline and organize their plans for after graduation.

Junior Meeting
Juniors meet in homogeneous groups the second half of the year.  The discussion focuses on options and information pertaining to their goals for after graduation and how to receive assistance and/or accommodations.

Work Study
Students have the opportunity to apply for the Work Study after-school jobs.  Students that are ready to work but need assistance learning to work independently begin with a job coach one time per week.

Limited Internship Program
Students that are ready to work competitively, independently and meet the criteria of the Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act are provided employment assistance through a grant from Workforce Alliance.

Work Experience
Students who maintain part time employment have the option of receiving .5 credit per year.

State and Federal Agencies
The Transition Coordinator provides individual or group information regarding potential eligibility or entitlement assistance.

Independent Living Assistance
As appropriate, individual assessments and plans are designed.


Becoming an independent and a productive adult is dependent on small steps of continued learning.  The following list of websites may be helpful to you.

Promoting Independence:

Building A Bridge

The Kennedy Center, Inc.  (For Travel Training)

Self Advocacy

Yellow Pages for Kids

Job Accommodation Network (JAN)

Connecticut Center for Disability Rights

Career Development

Connecticut Department of Labor



Career One Stop

College/Postsecondary Training

Federal Student Aid

College Board


Gateway Community College


Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities

For more information about these programs, please contact Kara Andrews at Hamden High School:

Kara Andrews
Transition Coordinator
Tel: (203) 407-2040, ext: 5559