Dunbar Hill School is home to nearly 300 students in Grades K through 6 in Hamden, Connecticut, a town of roughly 50,000 north of New Haven. We are located on Lane Street in southern Hamden across from Radio Towers Park. A Pre-K program lives in our building as well. Our wonderful staff strives everyday to help our students achieve their potential.
Dunbar Hill School History
The first Dunbar Hill School was a red brick, one-room schoolhouse built in the early 1800s on what is now Cooper Lane and Dunbar Hill Road. The area was named for Giles Dunbar, who served as a town hayward (look that one up!) in the late 1820s. A second Dunbar Hill School was built in 1863, and a third in 1906, also one-room structures. Additions and modifications were made over the years and the school was closed for a short time until in 1950 the community rallied to build a new school on the grounds of the current school, which opened in 1951. It was the first school in Hamden to have both a cafeteria and auditorium.
Beginning in 1992, the building once again underwent a massive renovation, re-opening in 1995. The remodeled building included a media center and computer lab, as well as separate facilities for instrumental and choral music.