The Planning and Placement Team (PPT) is the decision-making body central to the process of ensuring that the student meets the eligibility requirements of the IDEA. It is through this process that Hamden Public Schoolsensures that students with disabilities receive a free and appropriate public education.
The Planning and Placement Team is composed of a group of certified and/or licensed professionals from teaching, administrative and pupil personnel staffs, the parent(s) of the student, the student when appropriate, and other individuals having knowledge or special expertise regarding the student. Administration is represented by someone qualified to provide or supervise the provision of special education. This person need not be the principal, but is not the student’s teacher. In Hamden, school personnel that are knowledgeable in the areas necessary to determine an appropriate educational program for a student with a disability attend PPTs.
Each PPT that (1) develops, reviews and revises an IEP; (2) designs and conducts an initial evaluation or reevaluation; (3) determines eligibility; (4) conducts a manifestation determination; (5) develops a functional behavioral assessment; or (6) develops, reviews or modifies a behavioral intervention plan, includes:
· The parents of the student with a disability;
· At least one regular education teacher of the student (if the student is, or may be participating in the regular education environment);
· At least one special education teacher of the student, or if appropriate, at least one special education provider of the student;
· A representative of the District who is qualified to provide or supervise the provision of specially designed instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities, is knowledgeable about the general curriculum and about the availability of resources within the District;
· A representative of the pupil personnel staff;
· An individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results (who may be one of the previously listed team members other than the parent);
· If appropriate, the student; and
· At the discretion of the parent or the District, other individuals who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the student, including related services personnel.
PPT Membership for Out of District Placements
PPT Membership for Secondary Transitions Considerations
(Form ED 633)
(Spanish Form ED 633)
Role of the Regular Education Teacher in the PPT
Parental Involvement in the PPT