Hamden Public Schools
Reopening Schools FAQs
Updated September 16, 2020
The following are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to Hamden Public Schools’ reopening plan. You can find more details by viewing our Hamden Transitional Reopening Plan.
More information will be sent to families as it is available. Please continue to check our Website and watch for email from the district or your child’s school.
You can view the questions and answers below (updated often - we have labeled changes below as NEW or REVISED).
- What is Hamden’s plan for reopening schools?
- Why has Hamden decided to open with a hybrid model?
- What precautions are being put into place to make it safe for my child to attend school?
- I understand everyone in the building will be required to wear masks. Can my child wear any mask? Will the school provide masks?
- How will my child learn on days s/he is at home?
- How will food service be handled safely?
- My child receives special education services. Will the services specified in his/her IEP or 504 Plan still be provided?
- I work and need childcare with shorter school days and on at-home learning days. How is the district helping families with this?
- What is happening with Hamden Athletics?
- What is First Student doing to keep students healthy while traveling to-and-from school on buses?
- If I decide I want my child to participate in full distance learning through Hamden Public Schools, is this the same as “homeschooling” my child?
- I heard that parents are not allowed into school buildings. Is this true?
- Is the distance learning that will be provided different than it was in the spring?
- How will social distancing work in schools?
- With schools reopening to students and staff, why is it that the Board of Education is continuing to hold its meetings virtually?
- If I don’t want my children to go back to school buildings at all during the pandemic, do I have to “home-school” them?
- What is happening with high-stakes testing like SAT and SBAC?
- Will 6th graders be attending school at Wintergreen School?
- -- NEW -- What if some students won’t keep their masks on when in school?
- -- REVISED -- I understand I may choose to keep my child at home and that the district will then provide full distance learning for him/her. How do I sign up my child for this option?
- -- REVISED -- What is my child’s exact schedule? Which days will he/she be in school and which days will be distance learning days?
- -- New -- What is the schedule for students in IIC and ALsC classes?
- -- Revised -- Will there be extra-curricular activities at HMS and HHS?
- -- New -- What is the plan for HCLC students?
- -- NEW -- I understand live video and audio will be part of the new distance learning experiences. What does this mean?
- -- NEW -- Why do elementary schools need to rotate the at-home days for different grades? If there’s room for the YMCA or Right at School programs, why can’t all grades be in school at once?
- -- NEW -- Will schools screen students and staff with temperature checks at the beginning of each school day?
- -- NEW -- What is being done to ensure ventilation in the buildings is working adequately?
- -- REVISED -- What will happen if students or staff present with symptoms at school or is diagnosed with COVID-19?