Coronavirus - HPS Information and Updates
Coronavirus/CoVid-19 is a global challenge that is affecting many aspects of our lives, including school operations. We've created this page to compile information related to Coronavirus that is relevant to our families. Please check back frequently for updates.
May 8 - Elementary School Families: End of Year Update
Dear Elementary Families,
We hope this email finds you and your family well. We truly have missed all of our students and their families.
We could never have imagined that this is how we would end our school year. We have been committed to supporting all students and families with Distance Learning.
The purpose of this correspondence is to communicate some changes regarding grading and report cards for this last marking period as well as some other information you may need to know.
- How is my child’s attendance recorded?
Students are to respond to the attendance question each day in the Google Classroom.
- How is my child’s work evaluated?
During the third marking term, teachers are monitoring the completion of assignments, and providing feedback through comments. The primary goal is to offer feedback, celebrate accomplishments and provide suggestions for next steps or improvement. With regard to the final report card, students will not receive a standards based grade, and you will see “NA” in place of a grade. Feedback regarding work habits and academic progress will be communicated through comments aligned with distance learning expectations.
- How are teachers monitoring the amount of work assigned?
Teachers are working in collaboration with their departments and teams to plan weekly lessons and assignments. We are grateful for student and parent feedback; and are making adjustments in the hopes to provide both a level of challenge and more support where needed. As you know, Wednesdays are dedicated to allow teachers and students time to connect. This time may also be used by students to complete missed classroom assignments, practice skills using online platforms or explore enrichment activities or challenges.
- How can I pick up my child’s medicine? How can I retrieve my child’s personal belongings?
We understand students and parents want to collect their belongings. We are working with our Central Office leaders to organize a safe, systematic process. We promise to communicate information as it is finalized.
- How will my child transition from sixth grade to seventh grade?
More information will be coming soon from HMS about this process to Grade 6 parents. Please note that physicals will be necessary for enrollment, but the state has extended that deadline. More information will be communicated to Grade 6 families as it is received.
We hope this information is helpful, and we encourage you to contact a member of the school team if we can be of assistance.
We appreciate your support of distance learning.
Hamden Elementary Team
- May 6 - Schools Closed for the Remaining School Year: Letter from the Superintendent
- April 30 - Mobile Meals Available Starting May 5
- April 10 - Letter from the Superintendent
- April 9 - Optional Activities for Elementary Students - Spring Break or Other Times
- April 2 - Food Service During Spring Break
- Online Instruction to Start Week of March 30
- March 20 Update: Information on At-Home Instruction
- March 19 Update Monthly Mobile Food Pantry, More Food Sites
- March 18 Update: Enrichment Packets and Extended Plans for Learning
- March 16 UPDATE: First Steps for Continuing Learning at Home
- March 14 UPDATE: Message on Free Meals and Instructional Packets
- March 12 Post and Message to Families - Hamden Schools Closed Beginning Friday, March 13
- March 11 Email and "Robocall" to families - Early Dismissal on March 16
- March 10 Letter to families from Superintendent Goeler
- February 27 Website Post on staying healthy