** PARADISE FIELD TRIP HAS BEEN MOVED FROM JUNE 8TH TO JUNE 12TH. See changes below... **
As the end of the year is quickly approaching, below are some important dates to remember:
MONDAY, JUNE 12TH: Paradise Field Trip, 9:15 AM to 1:30 PM, for Teams Mule and Perito;
Team Pioneer is split between the 30th and the 12th as directed by teachers.
June 13th : 7th Grade Awards Ceremony by invitation only; Invitations will be sent home with students. Attendees MUST have an invitation in order to come to the ceremony.
8:30 AM to 10:30 AM, HMS Auditorium
June 14th: Celebration practice- times TBD
June 15th: 8th Grade Celebration: 9:00 AM- 11:00 AM-- Teams Rocco, Navigator, Sgrigneri;
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM-- Teams LaVallee, Morello
June 16th: HALF DAY!! Students’ Last Day of School
It's Not Too Early to Think About Joining the HMS PTA for 2017-18
Members, Volunteers and Board Members needed to make our children’s time at the Middle School successful and fun! Be a part of your child’s education.
If interested, please email Mr. Levy.
Students will NOT be able to borrow lunch money as of May 31st.
All obligations (lunch and library books) are to be cleared BEFORE June 7th.
**Certificates will NOT be given to students
who have an obligation **
It's never too early to begin thinking about Summer Reading. For Hamden Middle School students, the assignment is to read a book of their choice. Students can choose to read as many books as they want, as long as they have never read the book before, and that the book is on their reading-level. See the link below for further explanation and a list of suggested reading books.
We've had a few glitches in getting our Honor Roll lists posted - thank you for your patience and congratulations to our honored students! View our Honor Roll
The Parent Portal is a great way parents and students to stay on top of assignments and attendance. Before using the Parent Portal, you must register and receive login credentials. The links below are links to bring you to Parent Portal registration pages.
Main Office Announcements
- Any student who has a note to ride a different bus or walk to the library must have the note stamped by the main office before first period. If you do not have a note, you must get on your assigned bus.
- Beginning Monday, November 28th, any student who is being picked up by private transportation at dismissal whose ride has not arrived by the end of the dismissal process will be escorted by our bus duty staff back into the building's main entrance to await their ride. On late bus days, these students will be required to take the late bus home if their ride has not arrived by 3:30 PM. Please see attached Safety Update flyer for details.
New Points System
Starting Monday, January 23, 2017, all of our seventh AND eighth grade students will begin a points system to further encourage students to make good choices. Each student, regardless of past offenses, will be starting with a clean slate of zero points. Each disciplinary intervention will result in that student receiving points.
School Governance Announcement
- The HMS School Governance Council has established that no student may participate in interscholastic athletics, school plays or musicals, school dances, or end of the year class trips or awards ceremonies if s/he has unexcused absences in excess of 10% of the child’s school year at the time of the event. Absences from school may only be excused according to the guidelines established by the State Board of Education listed in your child's HMS Student Handbook.
** The HMS School Governance Council would like to thank all HMS families for supporting their efforts to improve student attendance by observing our new procedures this year. **
It's not too late to buy your yearbook! Speak to Mr. Del, Victoria or Irene for a form!
The 2017 yearbook is only available with this form as online sales have ended.
Yearbooks will be distributed on June 14th.
After June 14th, yearbooks can be purchased in Room 164 and the Main Office. 2017 yearbooks will also be available for purchase at the Eighth Grade Celebration on June 15th.
For more information please contact Mr. Del Giudice.
A Message from the Library Media Center
ATTENTION STUDENTS AND PARENTS/GUARDIANS:
- The last day that students can check out books from the library was Friday, June 2nd.
- Please be sure to return ALL books to the library by Wednesday, June 7th. If books are NOT returned, students may not be able to fully participate in end-of-the-year events.
A reminder to 7th grade chorus students in auditioned groups-- do not come to rehearsals today, Wednesday, June 14th-- attend class as normal. Remember to dress nicely tomorrow (Thursday, June 15th) for performances at 9:00 AM and 12:00 PM. We will provide your lunch.
LifeTouch Graduation Portraits
Interested in having 8th grade graduation portraits taken? See attached flyer for details.
Any student who is NOT planning on attending Hamden High School OR Hamden Middle School next year must see Ms. Colburn in the 8th grade guidance office for a withdrawal form.
Students of the Month
Congratulations to the following students!
Grade 7 May Students of the Month
Team DeCarter: Adrianna T. and Hannes S.
Team Mule: Heidi O. and Jai'den A.
Team Symonaitis: Alexis O. and Sydney G.
Team Perito: Giusepina T. and Caroline E.
Team Pioneer: Anthony D.
Grade 8 May Students of the Month
Team Morello: Akeisha R. and Faiz F.
Team Rocco: Cam H. and Ashley B.
Team LaVallee: Gwen M. and Sofia M.
Team Sgrigneri: Brandon D. and Harleen K.
Team Navigator: Azjah B.
We've provided the list of supplies your child will need for the 2016-2017 school year. View the HMS Student Supply lists.
Find out when and where your child needs to be to catch the bus! HMS Bus Routes and Schedules
All visitors are required to enter HMS through the main entrance by the bus loop. School hours are from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM. All visitors to HMS are reminded that they may be required to present a photo ID upon request.