A variety of assessments occur within our classrooms to measure how students are doing. Assessments include frequent monitoring, observations, quizzes, projects, demonstrations and tests.
In addition to class and course assessments, there are a number of assesments that are administered districtwide:
- CAP: Our Kindergarten students take Connecticut's Concepts About Print (CAP) test in October, February, and June. This observation instrument helps the teacher understand what experiences students have had with print, what they have noticed and what they have ignored, thus allowing them to better advance
- DRA2: Hamden is required to administer this test to all Kindergarten through grades 3 students, and we do so in October, February and June.The Developmental Reading Assessment (second edition) is an individually administered reading test that helps teachers determine students' independent reading levels and identify what each student needs to learn next.
- Smarter Balanced Assessments Connecticut is one of 27 states that have agreed to be part of The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (Smarter Balanced). The consortium has developed computer-based assessments, which it is hoped will more accurately measure student progress toward college- and career-readiness. Each spring, these online assessments will be administered in grades 3-8 and grade 11, and have replaced CMT and CAPT in English/language arts and mathematics. The Smarter Balanced assessment items are aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), which are reflected in Hamden's revised curricula. Smarter Balanced Fact Sheet for Parents
- CMT* and CAPT: Each spring, students in grades 5 and 8 take the Connecticut Mastery Tests (CMT) in Science, and in grade 10 the Connecticut Adademic Performance Test (CAPT) in Science.
- CMT/CAPT MAS: This CMT/CAPT Modified Assessment System (Electronic Version of Mastery Test) is used with students whose disabilities preclude them from achieving proficiency on the standard CMT /CAPT or Smarter Balanced Assessments, even with accommodations.
- CMT/CAPT MIST: An online method for administration of the CMT and CAPT, being piloted with some students throughout the state, including some in Hamden.
- PSAT: To help prepare students to be college-ready by graduation, all 10th grade students take the PSAT in November, with test costs provided by the district.